Last week I went running with a group of kids from the school. We got back to my house and I was getting everyone some water when the room started to shake. I thought oh a little earthquake, but then the shaking continued and got stronger. All of the kids ran outside and I tried to follow but it was shaking so much I couldn't walk. It was crazy my house was swaying back and forth. After it was over all the kids said "let's go Ms. Courtney we have to go on top" I was thinking to myself "Oh come on at least let me swim first (swim means shower) as I was sweaty from our run. Well there would be no swimming. I went on top (up on a hill in my village where several people have their homes) in case of a Tsunami. I ended up staying with a girl from my school and her family. They were so sweet. They brought me into their home and made me tea. They treated me with such kindness. They even brought my crazy dog into their house... See they have several dogs that don't like my little dog and they were afraid that their dogs would kill Buddy, so Buddy got to come inside too. I kept thinking that I would go home to sleep, but Amandine's dad told me that I had to spend the night to be safe. They fixed the bed for me and made sure I had a room to myself. It was so generous. Everyone I meet here seems to live this way. They are always ready to open their door and let you in.
I hope that I always remember to treat people this way. Sometimes we get so worked up about needing our space or privacy, but really we need each other. This was a great lesson in love.
(the earthquake was 7.5 and it was 60 km off of my island)
No comments:
Post a Comment